What should I know when using CPR manikins?
There have been no documented cases where the use of CPR training manikins has been responsible for the transmission of bacterial, fungal or viral diseases. Thorough cleaning and disinfecting will continue to minimize the risk.
What precautions should I follow when participating in CPR training?
- Wash hands thoroughly before any contact with manikin.
- Pretend or simulate ventilation when second person of two person team practices the "switching procedure."
- Pretend or simulate a finger sweep when clearing airway of manikin during the "obstructed airway procedure" when second person of two person team practices "switching procedure." Otherwise, decontaminate manikin airway before and after procedure.
- Change protective face shields for every student.
- Wipe manikin face and inside of mouth each time manikin used for mouth-to-mouth artificial respiration and/or finger sweeps. Wipe vigorously with clean absorbent pad using a disinfectant. Wait 30 seconds before wiping surface dry with a second clean gauze pad.
Do not participate if:
- your hands, mouth or lips have skin lesions
- you have been exposed to or are in the active stage of an infectious disease
What should be done during the regular maintenance of the manikin?
- Make frequent inspection of plastic surfaces for signs of deterioration.
- After every class, disassemble, wash and scrub manikin with warm soapy water. Rinse with fresh water. Clean according to manufacturers directions, using a disinfectant. Rinse with fresh water and immediately wipe dry.
- Wash clothes and hair of manikin monthly or when visibly soiled.
- Have a maintenance record for each manikin. Record inspections, unsatisfactory conditions, repairs and after-class maintenance. Have instructor sign and date record.
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.