What does an electrician do?
Electricians work in commercial, industrial or residential settings. Some of their main duties are to:
- Install, repair and maintain electrical systems.
- Conform to building codes and other regulations.
- Read, prepare or interpret blueprints and drawings.
- Prepare cost estimates and documentation for clients.
- Use, clean and maintain various equipment.
- Supervise apprentices or other workers.
What are some health and safety issues for electricians?
Electricians work in a variety of settings and may be exposed to several hazards, including:
- Lead, solvents, solder, and other materials.
- Risk of fatal electrical shock.
- Risk of electrical burns.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Welding hazards, including UV radiation.
- Extreme temperatures.
- Risk of pain or injury from awkward positions, repetitive manual tasks, or lifting heavy objects.
- Moulds, fungi and bacteria.
- Risk of infection from bird or rodent droppings.
- Working at heights.
- Risk of eye injury from flying particles.
- Slips, trips and falls.
- Working with various hand tools, power tools and equipment.
- Shift work or extended work days.
- Working alone.
- Possible exposure to asbestos.
What are some preventive measures for electricians?
- Keep tools and equipment in good working order.
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment for the task, including footwear.
- Keep work areas clear of clutter and equipment.
- Avoid awkward positions, and repetitive tasks, or take frequent breaks.
- Learn safe lifting techniques.
- Follow a recommended shift work pattern, and know the associated hazards.
- Inspect work area before work starts to identify potential hazards and their controls.
What are some good general safe work practices?
- Follow correct procedures for:
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.