What types of slings are used to lift loads?
What should you know or determine before choosing a sling?
- The weight of the load.
- The centre of gravity of the load.
- The best slinging configuration that provides the proper balance for the load.
- The working load limit of the sling.
- The work rated load of the attachments and components of the sling.
- Other physical characteristics of the load (geometry, sharp edges, surface temperature, etc.).
- The environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, presence of corrosive agents).
- The characteristics of different types of slings.
What should you know when using any type of sling?
Please see the individual documents (as listed above: wire rope, fibre rope, chain, synthetic, metal mesh) for information about:
- How to care for the sling.
- How to inspect the sling.
- How to store the sling.
- When to remove a sling from use.
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.