What should you know when using attachments?
- Check that all hydraulic lines are in good condition, securely connected and leak-free.
- Add front counterweights to tractors with rear-mounted attachments for improved steering control and stability.
- Use correct brackets and recommended sizes and types of bolts for mounting equipment.
- Use jacks, hoists or blocks to position equipment.
- Avoid crushing and entanglement points. Do not stand between a tractor and an implement.
- Ensure that safety locks and catches are fastened.
- Attempt to line up the hitch holes from the tractor seat, then shut off the engine before dismounting to attach the hitch.
- Do not crawl under anything supported only by a hydraulic lift. Always use blocks or implement stands.
- Make sure all guards are in place (master and integral shields). Damaged guards and shields should be repaired or replaced immediately.
What should you be aware of when using the Power Take-Off (PTO)?
The power take-off is extremely dangerous. The PTO spins quickly enough to trap a person and can easily catch loose clothing or long hair.
- When attaching or detaching PTO-driven equipment:
- Lower hydraulics.
- Shut off the tractor engine.
- Apply tractor parking brake.
- Hitch tractor to implement.
- Ensure that universal joints are in the correct phase when connecting the shaft.
- Do not wear loose clothing. Tie back long hair. Do not wear shoe laces dangling.
- Do not remove shields from the PTO shaft.
- Use the correct size drive for the machine being powered.
- Match the correct PTO speed for the machine being used.
- Do not step over a rotating shaft. Even PTO shafts with guards are dangerous. Walk around the equipment.
Document confirmed current on August 2, 2012
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.