|License Options:||Single Seat (90 days access)
Multi-seat (1 year access)
Everyone in the workplace, from the employer to the newest worker, has important duties to keep the workplace and workers safe. Under the law, a supervisor is any person who has authority over others or the workplace itself. People who supervise use many other titles, including manager, team leader, or group co-ordinator. The duties will vary depending on the position, but as a supervisor, you will take direction from your employer, and give direction to the workers you supervise. It is important for you to understand the health and safety responsibilities that everyone has in the workplace.
This course explains your role and duties as a supervisor regarding health and safety at the workplace, why it is important to know what Ontario's Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and regulations require, and outlines how to recognize, assess, control and evaluate hazards to keep your workers safe.
Workers and health and safety committee members are encouraged to take the Health and Safety Awareness for Ontario Workers course.
- The duties of supervisors, employers and workers under the OHSA
- A supervisor's role in health and safety policies and programs
- The rights of workers, and how supervisors play a key role in fulfilling these rights
- Common workplace hazards and occupational illnesseses, and how to identify and control them to keep workers safe
Upon completion of the course you will:
- Know your health and safety responsibilities and rights as a supervisor in Ontario
- Understand the importance of the the internal responsibility system (IRS), and the duties of the employer, supervisor and worker
- Be aware of how to keep your workers safe from common workplace hazards
- Know when to involve the employer and where to get additional help
Average time to complete this course is approximately one hour.
Under the new Occupational Health and Safety Awareness and Training regulation of the OHSA, which comes into force on July 1, 2014, all employers in Ontario must ensure that their supervisors complete a basic health and safety awareness training program. This course meets this requirement.
Case studies, quizzes and a final exam help to measure and encourage learning. Upon finishing the course, participants will be able to print a Certificate of Completion. With the purchase of a multi-seat account, employers are able to track and demonstrate that their supervisors have successfully completed the course.
This course is recommended for supervisors in Ontario workplaces, and employers may also find this course helpful.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
CCOHS courses are unique in that they are developed by subject specialists in the field, and reviewed by representatives from labour, employers and government to ensure the content and approach are unbiased and credible.
We partnered with Vubiz - an international leader in e-learning development - to create this e-course.
Vubiz offers other related e-learning courses that may also be of interest to you. Read about them in the Vubiz Catalogue of e-learning courses.