|License Options:||Single Seat (90 days access)
Multi-seat (1 year access)
Gain the knowledge you need to implement a fully functioning health and safety management system suited to the needs of your organization.
This course is divided into two modules covering the following topics:
- Introduction to Management Systems
- Elements of an Occupational Health and Safety Management System
This course follows the management system standards commonly applied in Canada, and covers the requirements for an occupational health and safety management system (OHSMS) as specified in OHSAS 18001:2007 and CSA: Z1000-06.
Pop-ups, checklists, case studies, external links, review questions, and activities to apply learning are used throughout. A record of completion is provided upon successful completion of the final exam.
Introduction to Management Systems
Implementing a management system can seem like a daunting task, but it need not be. Management systems are tools that help an organization continually improve its health, safety and environmental performance. They contain organizational elements that follow a continuous cycle of planning, implementing, checking, and improving.
This module introduces the basic elements of health, safety and environmental management systems, describing the main components of management systems and how they can benefit an organization. It then outlines the key steps in a management system certification process. The course finishes with a self-evaluation to help you determine if you are ready to begin this process.
Elements of an Occupational Health and Safety Management System
A management system improves your ability to identify and remove hazards and decrease health and safety risk at the workplace. This module helps you to understand:
- How a management system can benefit your organization
- The commitment and resources you will need in order to successfully implement a management system
- How you can adapt the management system to suit the specific needs of your organization
This module uses a case-study approach that guides you through the implementation process. Checklists also help you to understand the steps in detail.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the differences between a program and a management system
- Demonstrate leadership in the development and implementation of a health and safety management system
- Understand the PDCA approach used in management system standards
- Know the elements of a health and safety management system and how to apply them
- Identify the differences in elements between OHSAS 18001:2007 and CSA Z1000-06
- Create the procedures, policies and other related documents needed to implement an OHSMS
- Develop an OHSMS that conforms to either the CSA Z1000-06 standard or the 18001:2007 standard
Average time to complete this course is approximately 2 hours.
CCOHS offers three other OHSMS/EMS courses to meet your specific needs:
- Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management Systems
- Environmental Management Systems
- Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management Systems: Awareness FREE!
This course is recommended for employers, managers, supervisors and health, safety and environmental professionals who have a responsibility to develop, implement and maintain a health and safety management system in the workplace.
This course is delivered as an online e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
Registration for this course is provided online, or by contacting Client Services or calling 1-800-668-4284.
CCOHS courses are unique in that they are developed by subject specialists in the field, and reviewed by representatives from labour, employers and government to ensure the content and approach are unbiased and credible.
We partnered with Vubiz - an international leader in e-learning development - to create this e-course.
Vubiz offers other related e-learning courses that may also be of interest to you. Read about them in the Vubiz Catalogue of e-learning courses.