|License Options:||Single Seat (90 days access)
Multi-seat (1 year access)
This course provides a practical introduction to the most common types of personal protective equipment (PPE) used to protect against common workplace hazards, such as chemicals, noise and mechanical injury. The basics of PPE are covered, including practical tips for safe use, PPE programs, limitations and legal responsibilities. This course does not cover specialized PPE - equipment used by emergency responders or to protect against biohazards. It also does not cover fall protection equipment or supplied-air respirators. Additional resources, links and printable lists are provided throughout the course as well as examples and detailed images to better illustrate concepts. The quizzes after each section as well as the exam help measure learning.
- Common PPE
- Hazard control
- PPE program
- Responsibilities of workers, supervisors and employers
- Basic information and safety tips for the most common types of PPE:
- Head protection – e.g. hard hats
- Foot protection – e.g. safety shoes
- Eye/face protection – e.g. safety glasses
- Hearing protection - e.g. ear plugs, muffs
- Hand protection - e.g. gloves
- Respiratory protection
- High-visibility clothing
Upon completion of this course you will know :
- The appropriate PPE for many workplace hazards
- The basics of selection, fit, care, and use
- The importance of regular inspection and maintenance of PPE
- The limitations to PPE as a hazard control method
- That there are legal requirements regarding PPE
Average time to complete this course is approximately 60 minutes.
- Workers, managers, and supervisors working in an industrial setting, on construction or demolition sites, and in the forestry and mining industries
- Health and safety committee members in these sectors
- Not for workers who use specialized PPE e.g. emergency responders (firefighters, hazmat teams) or workers dealing with biohazards
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
CCOHS courses are unique in that they are developed by subject specialists in the field, and reviewed by representatives from labour, employers and government to ensure the content and approach are unbiased and credible.
We partnered with Vubiz - an international leader in e-learning development - to create this e-course.
Vubiz offers other related e-learning courses that may also be of interest to you. Read about them in the Vubiz Catalogue of e-learning courses.