|License Options:||Single Seat (90 days access)
Multi-seat (1 year access)
The course familiarizes Ontario workers with WHMIS which stands for Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System. This system is designed to provide health and safety information to workers about the hazardous materials or controlled products in their workplaces. Participants will learn about WHMIS symbols and their meanings, labels on products, and material safety data sheets (MSDSs). The course also provides practical advice for how to safely handle hazardous materials on the job.
Developed by CCOHS in collaboration with WSPS, this course features case studies, review quizzes, "Ask a Question", and access to resources from CCOHS and WSPS. Those who score at least 80% on the final exam will be able to print a certificate of completion.
- Basics of WHMIS (including workplace responsibilities)
- Components of a WHMIS program
- Hazard communication
- WHMIS classes and their symbols
- Material safety data sheets
- Safe use and handling tips
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Know your rights and responsibilities
- Recognize the WHMIS symbols and their meaning
- Understand the types of information provided on supplier labels and workplace labels
- Read an MSDS and find information on hazards and preventive measures
- Take basic measures to protect yourself when working with hazardous materials
- Find additional information on hazardous materials
Average time to complete this course is about 50-60 minutes.
- Workers in workplaces where controlled products and hazardous substances are used
- Students in science and technology programs
- Young workers preparing for a new job
Prior technical knowledge of health and safety is not a requirement. However, familiarity with workplace processes and practices is helpful.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
Registration for this course is provided online, or by contacting Client Services or calling 1-800-668-4284.
CCOHS courses are unique in that they are developed by subject specialists in the field, and reviewed by representatives from labour, employers and government to ensure the content and approach are unbiased and credible.
CCOHS and the Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS) have partnered to develop online e-courses specific to Ontario workplaces. WSPS offers other training, products and related services. For more information, visit http://www.healthandsafetyontario.ca/WSPS/cp2/eLearning.aspx.
We partnered with Vubiz - an international leader in e-learning development - to create this e-course.
Vubiz offers other related e-learning courses that may also be of interest to you. Read about them in the Vubiz Catalogue of e-learning courses.