The Yukon Mine Training Association (YMTA) and the Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board (YWCHSB), in collaboration with CCOHS, have developed a generic certification program for first line supervisors in the mining and resource-related industries. This e-course is part of the process towards obtaining the Permanent First Line Supervisors Certificate, as required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act in the Yukon.
The ultimate goal of this training is to achieve "Safeproduction". Safeproduction is achieved through the work of competent people – including workers and all levels of supervisors/management. Competent people know and comply with the applicable legislation, know and consistently apply appropriate company operating procedures, and consistently demonstrate a level of performance which satisfies the company standards.
This course consists of 6 modules:
Module 1 - Overview
Module 2 - Health and Safety Program
Module 3 - Prepare for Emergencies
Module 4 - Practice Effective Communication
Module 5 - Manage Work Area Activities
Module 6 - Manage Employees
Upon completion of the course, you will know how to:
- Follow "Safeproduction" steps, including demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the Internal Responsibility System (IRS), the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Mining Regulations, and company standards.
- Identify and respond to workplace hazards, accidents/incidents, inspections, and emergencies.
- Use effective communication skills to conduct meetings, organize work, and resolve conflicts.
- Provide consistent leadership to your team, including evaluating worker performance, mentoring, training, conducting meetings, and reporting procedures.
Average time to complete the six modules of this course is approximately five hours.
This course is specifically developed for front line supervisors in the mining and related industries in the Yukon Territory. Participants working towards the Yukon Permanent First Line Supervisor Certificate are required to also complete other on-the-job requirements.
The course may also be beneficial to others in the mining or exploration industry, including:
- Managers and supervisors
- Employees who perform some type of supervisory function or those who are a team leader
- Health and safety committee members
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
Registration for the Permanent First Line Supervisors Certificate is coordinated by YMTA and YWCHSB. Call YMTA at 867-633-6463.
CCOHS courses are unique in that they are developed by subject specialists in the field, and reviewed by representatives from labour, employers and government to ensure the content and approach are unbiased and credible.
We partnered with Vubiz - an international leader in e-learning development - to create this e-course.
Vubiz offers other related e-learning courses that may also be of interest to you. Read about them in the Vubiz Catalogue of e-learning courses.