The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) is Canada's national resource for the advancement of workplace health and safety. CCOHS promotes the total well-being – physical, psychosocial, and mental health – of working people in Canada. We do this by providing information, education, tools, and solutions that encourage attitudes and methods that will lead to improved worker physical and mental health, and prevention of work-related injury and illness.
Established in 1978, CCOHS is a federal departmental corporation reporting to the Parliament of Canada through the federal Minister of Labour, and is governed by a Council of Governors representing governments (federal, provincial and territorial), employers, and workers; a structure that ensures an impartial approach.
CCOHS promotes health and safety in the workplace by:
- facilitating consultation and cooperation among federal, provincial and territorial jurisdictions, and participation by labour and management;
- assisting in the development and maintenance of policies and programs;
- serving as a national Centre for information relating to occupational health and safety.
CCOHS makes a wide range of occupational health and safety information as well as training and educational courses readily available. CCOHS partners and collaborates with agencies and organizations from Canada and around the world to improve the quality and quantity of its resources and programs, as well as expand the breadth of usage of occupational health and safety information to many different segments of society. CCOHS is a Collaborating Centre of the World Health Organization for occupational health and safety, and is renowned internationally and at home, as an innovative, authoritative occupational health and safety resource.
A selection of CCOHS specialty services are provided on a cost recovery basis. These include an extensive collection of e-courses intended to extend outreach and accessibility to occupational health and safety training; databases (legislation, MSDS, and CHEMINFO); software solutions such as the MSDS Management System (MMS); and CANWrite – an MSDS authoring system.
CCOHS products are offered in English and French as well as in various formats (digital, print, and online). CCOHS offers posters and has sold thousands of health and safety pocket guides and disseminated many thousands of fact sheets, articles and other publications to millions of people in Canada and other countries.
CCOHS provides a variety of free, public services including:
- Safety InfoLine - the confidential, person-to-person service for Canadians
- OSH Answers - easy-to-read fact sheets on the CCOHS website
- Health and Safety Report - monthly electronic newsletter
- Young Workers Zone website for new and young workers
- Healthy Minds at Work portal with information to promote mental health
- Healthy Workplaces portal with information on creating healthy workplaces
- Podcasts and webinar presentations on current topics
- Teaching Tools (basic online version)
- CANOSH portal with links to relevant information and services in federal, provincial and territorial governmental agencies
For more information about CCOHS visit www.ccohs.ca.