What is team handling?
"Team handling" occurs when more than one person is involved during the lift.
- Use team lifting and carrying where other solutions are inappropriate.
- Remember that the combined strength of the team is less than the sum of individual strength.
- Select team members of similar height and strength.
- Assign a leader to the team.
- Determine a set of commands to be used such as "lift", "walk", "stop", "down". Make sure that everyone knows what to do when they hear the command.
- Follow the commands given by the team leader.
- Practice team lifting and carrying together before attempting the task.
What should be done when lifting and carrying long objects as team?
- Use a shoulder pad to reduce compression.
- Carry load on the same shoulder.
- Walk in step.
What should be done when lifting and moving furniture as a team?
- Use straps.
- Adjust the length of the straps according to your height.
- Use webbing around straps to secure them from slipping off.
- Obtain assistance while loading a heavy object on the truck.
- Use your body weight to tilt the object.
- Place the lip of the truck under the object.
- Tip the truck back with assistance.
- Move off. The assisting person directs the movement.
Document confirmed current on October 7, 2013
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.