What should you do when using a rolling scaffold?
- Assemble the rolling scaffold according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Ensure that the surface on which the scaffold is moved is level and without holes or obstructions.
- Brace all rolling scaffolds horizontally and diagonally.
- Cleat or secure all planks.
- Prevent joints from separating.
- Secure access ladders.
- Make sure the platform has appropriate guardrails (hand, mid, toe).
- Ensure that each wheel or castor is equipped with brakes to prevent rolling and swivelling.
- Lock the caster brakes before climbing onto scaffold.
- Secure or remove all material, equipment and personnel from platform before moving it.
- Push towards the base when moving.
- Use the built-in access ladders to reach the platform.
- Refer to safety regulations for height stability requirements.
What should you not do when using a rolling scaffold?
- Do not stay on the scaffold when it is being moved. If a worker must remain on the scaffold, make sure the worker is secured to the building (not the scaffold) with appropriate safety harness and lanyard.
- Do not try to move a rolling scaffold without enough help. Watch out for slopes, holes, debris, and overhead obstructions.
- Do not extend adjusting screws more than the manufacturer recommends.
- Do not allow the working platform height to exceed three times the base width, unless it is guyed and equipped with outriggers or otherwise stabilized.
- Do not use powered devices to move scaffolds.
- Do not lean access ladders against rolling scaffolds.
- Do not over-reach from the scaffold.
- Do not climb using the frame.
Add a badge to your website or intranet so your workers can quickly find answers to their health and safety questions.
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.