How should tall cylinders be lifted?
- Use carts or tracks to transport cylinders
- Make sure that two people transport a cylinder if a cart cannot be used.
- Use lifting straps to improve grip.
How should one person lift a cylinder onto a platform?
- Roll the cylinder to within 1 metre of the platform.
- Position the forward foot around the cylinder, the back foot about 30 cm behind the cylinder.
- Bend knees slightly.
- Place one hand on the valve protective cap, the other hand underneath the cylinder about 30 cm from the ground.
- Tilt the cylinder onto the thigh of the back leg.
- Balance the cylinder on the thigh by pressing down with the back hand while lifting the cylinder with the forward hand.
- Extend both knees to initiate and forward movement of the cylinder and continue by pushing up and forward with the arms until the cylinder is located on the platform.
- Climb on the platform.
- Straddle the cylinder at the valve end.
- Grasp the valve protective cap of the cylinder with both hands between the thighs.
- Lean forward and straighten the knees to set the cylinder upright.
Document confirmed current on October 7, 2013
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.