What are some important elements of a workplace layout?
Layout or organization of the work area which allows materials to be handled without excessive bending, twisting and stretching reduces injuries.
- Have all materials at work level.
- Use adjustable elements at the workplace.
Workbench with adjustable height and tilt improves working position.
Self-adjusting platform automatically matches worker's height.
- Ensure that there is enough room to turn around to prevent twisting.
- Use adjustable supports or suspenders to operate heavy tools.
Tool suspender reduces muscular effort and compression on the back.
Tool support eliminates over-stretching and overreaching.
- Use bins that allow easy access.
Lift-and-tilt device and side opening on bin reduces bending.
Document confirmed current on October 7, 2013
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.