What other mechanical aids can used?
Specific tasks or objects require specialized equipment.
- Select the right equipment to complete the task. Equipment is rated for different capacities, which determine the maximum weight the equipment can safely handle, and the conditions under which it can handle those weights.
- Do not operate any equipment if you are not trained to use that equipment.
- Keep the equipment in good and safe operating condition. It saves effort while transporting loads.
- Visually inspect the equipment for any defects such as loose wheels or damaged platforms before use.
- Be sure that the load is securely in place before moving.
- Always push the equipment rather than pull it.
- Select a stair climbing truck when moving a load on stairs.
- Choose a sturdy frame hand truck with larger wheels to move materials in rough terrain. Additional set of handles allows for assistance.
- Use a pump truck to move materials stored on pallets.
- Move and dump waste materials with dump trucks.
- Move and empty drums with tilting drum cradles and drum dollies.
- Handle sheet materials with an "A" frame hand truck or dolly.
- Use a forklift to move heavier and stackable material.
Document confirmed current on October 7, 2013
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.