OSH Answers Fact Sheets
Easy-to-read, question-and-answer fact sheets covering a wide range of workplace health and safety topics, from hazards to diseases to ergonomics to workplace promotion. MORE ABOUT >
What are some safety tips for washing vehicles?
- Wear safety-toe, non-slip sole rubber boots.
- Wear hearing protection.
- Protect skin when using solvents. Use appropriate hand protection for the materials being used.
- Remove immediately any clothing saturated in solvents and wash skin with soap and water thoroughly.
- Watch out for burns from hot water and back blast from water or dirt particles.
- Check for bonding and grounding of solvent storage tanks and containers.
- Do not direct high velocity streams of water on yourself or others.
- Do not use solvents to remove oil and grease from hands. Use soap and water or a waterless cleanser.
What should I know about using a portable washer?
When using steam cleaners and high pressure washers:
- Use eye protection.
- Wear waterproof clothing.
- Wear protective clothing to protect from burns and splatter.
- Direct spray away from body.
- Ensure that there is adequate ventilation.
What should I know about cleaning garage floors?
- Remove accumulation of grease and oil by scraping up or shovelling the material into a disposal container.
- Absorb the remaining oil film with non-combustible absorbent material.
- Wash the floor with an industrial, non-volatile, biodegradable detergent solution.
- Rinse floor with clean water.
- Do not use gasoline as a cleaning agent.
- Treat the waste as if it has the same hazardous properties as the original chemicals or materials.
- Dispose of all chemicals, materials and wastes according to local environmental laws.
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.