Does a good grip matter?
Yes. Good handholds make lifting and carrying easier and safer.
- Use the "power grip" on loads with handles.
- Use the "hook grip" on loads with cut-out handholds.
- Curl your fingers around the edge.
- Do not hold the load with finger tips.
- Use containers with handles located more than halfway up the side of the container.
- Use the "ledge grip" to handle regularly shaped objects without handles.
- Hold the object with hands placed diagonally.
- Wear gloves where practical.
Document confirmed current on October 7, 2013
Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.