October 19, 2021 – Hamilton, ON – Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS)
The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) is now accepting applications for the 2022 Dick Martin Scholarship Award.
Two scholarships worth $3,000 each will be awarded to one university student and one college student pursuing their education in a field related to occupational health and safety. CCOHS will also award $500 to each of the winning students’ academic institutions.
To apply for the scholarship, post-secondary students are required to complete an online application, submit a cover letter outlining their aspirations of obtaining a career in the health and safety industry, and a 1,000-to-1,200-word essay on one of two topics related to occupational health and safety:
- Prevention Essay: Choose a high-risk workplace hazard. How would you work to solve and create awareness about the issue?
- Technical Essay: Research an existing or emerging hazard or risk (coverage may include how to identify, assess, and control the risks).
Applications are open until 11:59 p.m. EST, January 31, 2022. Scholarship rules, criteria, and other guidelines are available on the CCOHS website.
- This scholarship fund was established in 2002 in the memory of Dick Martin, a tireless health and safety advocate and a pioneer of workplace health and safety in Canada.
- Winners of the Dick Martin Scholarship Award will be announced in April 2022.
- Examples of programs eligible for this scholarship include mine safety, occupational or industrial health and safety, industrial hygiene, safety management or other related safety degree program.