Workplace Housekeeping - Checklist for Construction Sites
What is an example of a workplace housekeeping checklist for construction sites?
- Gather up and remove debris to keep the work site orderly.
- Plan for the adequate disposal of scrap, waste and surplus materials.
- Keep the work area and all equipment tidy. Designate areas for waste materials and provide containers.
- Keep stairways, passageways, ladders, scaffold and gangways free of material, supplies and obstructions.
- Secure loose or light material that is stored on roofs or on open floors.
- Keep materials at least 2m (5 ft.) from openings, roof edges, excavations or trenches.
- Remove or bend over nails protruding from lumber.
- Keep hoses, power cords, welding leads, etc. from laying in heavily travelled walkways or areas.
- Ensure structural openings are covered/protected adequately (e.g. sumps, shafts, floor openings, etc.)
- Do not permit rubbish to fall freely from any level of the project. Use chutes or other approved devices to materials.
- Do not throw tools or other materials.
- Do not raise or lower any tool or equipment by its own cable or supply hose.
- Store flammable or explosive materials such as gasoline, oil and cleaning agents apart from other materials.
- Keep flammable and explosive materials in proper containers with contents clearly marked.
- Dispose of greasy, oily rags and other flammable materials in approved containers.
- Store full barrels in an upright position.
- Keep gasoline and oil barrels on a barrel rack.
- Store empty barrels separately.
- Post signs prohibiting smoking, open flames and other ignition sources in areas where flammable and explosive materials are stored or used.
- Store and chain all compressed gas cylinders in an upright position.
- Mark empty cylinders with the letters "mt," and store them separately from full or partially full cylinders.
- Ventilate all storage areas properly.
- Ensure that all electric fixtures and switches are explosion-proof where flammable materials are stored.
- Use grounding straps equipped with clamps on containers to prevent static electricity buildup.
- Provide the appropriate fire extinguishers for the materials found on-site. Keep fire extinguisher stations clear and accessible.
Document last updated on June 23, 2008
Document confirmed current on June 12, 2018