Workplace Housekeeping - Checklist for Construction Sites
On this page
See the OSH Answers on Workplace Housekeeping - Basic Guide for more information.
- Gather up and remove debris to keep the work site orderly.
- Plan for the adequate disposal of scrap, waste and surplus materials.
- Keep the work area and all equipment tidy. Designate areas for supplies or waste materials and provide containers.
- Keep stairways, passageways, ladders, scaffolds, ramps, and gangways free of material, supplies, and obstructions.
- Secure loose or light material that is stored on roofs or on open floors.
- Keep materials at least 2 m (5 ft.) from openings, roof edges, excavations or trenches.
- Remove or bend over nails protruding from lumber.
- Keep hoses, power cords, welding leads, etc., from laying in heavily travelled walkways or areas.
- Ensure structural openings are covered or protected adequately (e.g., sumps, shafts, floor openings, trenches, excavations, ramps, etc.)
- Keep form or scrap lumber with protruding nails and all other debris away from the work areas, passageways, stairs, etc.
- Do not allow items to fall freely from any level of the project. Use chutes or other approved devices to move materials.
- Do not throw tools or other materials.
- Do not raise or lower any tool or equipment by its own cable or supply hose.
Flammable or Explosive Materials
- Store flammable or explosive materials such as gasoline, oil and cleaning agents apart from other materials.
- Keep flammable and explosive materials in proper containers with contents clearly marked.
- Dispose of greasy, oily rags, and other flammable materials in approved containers.
- Store full barrels in an upright position.
- Keep gasoline and oil barrels on a barrel rack.
- Post signs stating that smoking, open flames and other ignition sources are not allowed in areas where flammable and explosive materials are stored or used.
- Store and chain all compressed gas cylinders in an upright position.
- Mark empty cylinders with the letters "mt," and store them separately from full or partially full cylinders if required.
- Ventilate all storage areas properly.
- Ensure that all electric fixtures and switches are explosion-proof where flammable materials are stored.
- Use grounding straps equipped with clamps on containers to prevent static electricity buildup.
- Provide the appropriate fire extinguishers for the materials found on-site. Keep fire extinguisher stations clear and accessible.
- Fact sheet last revised: 2023-09-18