OSH Answers Fact Sheets

Easy-to-read, question-and-answer fact sheets covering a wide range of workplace health and safety topics, from hazards to diseases to ergonomics to workplace promotion. MORE ABOUT >

Download the free OSH Answers app
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

Search all fact sheets:

Type a word, a phrase, or ask a question

Canadian Government Departments Responsible for the Environment

Canada (Federal Jurisdiction)

Environment and Climate Change Canada
Public Inquiries Centre
7th floor, Fontaine Building
200 Sacré-Coeur Boulevard
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
Telephone: 819-938-3860 or Toll-free: 1-800-668-6767 (in Canada only)
E-mail: ec.enviroinfo.ec@canada.ca


Information Centre
Alberta Environment and Parks
Main Floor, Great West Life Building
9920 - 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2G8
Call Toll Free Alberta: 310-3773
Outside Alberta: 1-780-944-0313
Toll Free: 1-877-944-0313
Facsimile: 780-427-4407
For an environmental emergency or file a complaint, call the 24-hour Environment Hotline Toll-free Line: 1-800-222-6514
For toll free access to any provincial government office, dial 310-0000 (Alberta only)
Outside Alberta, call long distance (780) 427-2711
Email: ESRD.Info-Centre@gov.ab.ca

British Columbia

Ministry of Environmental Protection & Sustainability
PO Box 9339
Victoria BC V8W 9M1
Telephone: (250) 387-9870
Toll-free Line: 1-800-663-7867
Environmental Emergencies: 1-800-663-3456
To report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP), call the Toll-free Line: 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP)
Report online: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm
Cellular Dial : #7277
For access to any provincial government office, dial (250) 387-6121 in Victoria, (604) 660-2421 in Vancouver and 1-800-663-7867 in the rest of British Columbia.
E-mail: EnquiryBC@gov.bc


Manitoba Sustainable Development
Box 22 - 200 Saulteaux Crescent
Winnepeg, MB R3J 3W3
Telephone: 204-945-6784
Toll-free: 1-800-214-6497
Environmental Accident Reporting Line (24 Hours): (204) 944-4888
For access to any provincial government office dial (204) 945-3744 or Toll-free in Manitoba: 1-866-626-4862
E-mail: mgi@gov.mb.ca

New Brunswick

Environment and Local Government
Marysville Place
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB E3A 5H1
General Information Line: (506) 453-2690
Report oil, pesticide, chemical spills and other environmental emergencies: 1-800-565-1633
E-mail: elg/egl-info@gnb.ca

Newfoundland and Labrador

Department of Environment and Conservation
4th Floor, West Block Confederation Building
100 Prince Philip Drive
P.O. Box 8700
St. John's, NL A1B 4J6
Telephone: (709) 729-2664 or Toll-free: 1-800-563-6181
Facsimile: (709) 729-6639
E-mail: info@gov.nl.ca

Northwest Territories

Department of Environment and Natural Resources
600, 5102-50th Avenue
Yellowknife, NT X1A 3S8
Telephone: (867) 767-9231
24 Hour Spill Report Line: (867) 920-8130
Report a Poacher: Toll Free Line: 1-866-762-2437
Fort Simpson Wildlife Emergency Line: (867) 695-7433
Yellowknife Wildlife Emergency Line: (867) 767-9238
Report a Wildland Fire: Toll Free Line: 1-877-698-3473 or 1-877-NWT-Fire

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Environment

Barrington Tower
1894 Barrington Street, Suite 1800
PO Box 442
Halifax, NS B3J 2P8
Tel: (903) 424-3600
Fax: (Main) (902) 424-0501

Barrington Place
1903 Barrington Street, Suite 2085
PO Box 442
Halifax, NS B3J 2P8
Telephone: (902) 424-3600
Facsimile: (902) 424-6925

Environmental Compliance
Telephone: (902) 424-2547 or Toll-free: 1-877-936-8476
Facsimile: (902) 424-0569
E-mail: emc@gov.ns.ca


Department of Environment
P.O. Box 1000
Station 1300
Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0
Telephone: (867) 975-7700or Toll-free: 1-866-222-9063
Facsimile: (867) 975-7740
E-mail: environment@gov.nu.ca


Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change
Ferguson Block
11th Floor
77 Wellesley St W
Toronto ON M7A2T5

Public Information Centre
2nd Floor
900 Bay Street
Toronto ON M7A1N3
Telephone: (416) 325-4000 or Toll-free: 1-800-565-4923 or TTY: 1-855-515-2759

Spills Action Centre
Pollution Reporting Hotline: 1-866-663-8477
Telephone: 1-800-268-6060

Prince Edward Island

Department of Communities, Land and Environment
Jones Building, 4th Floor
11 Kent Street
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-5000
Facsimile: (902) 368-5830
Environmental Emergency Response: 1-800-565-1633


Ministère du Dévelopement durable, de l'Environnement et des Parcs
Centre d'information
Marie-Guyart Building, 29th Floor
675 René-Lévesque Blvd East
Quebec City, QC G1R 5V7
Telephone: (418) 521-3830 or Toll-free: 1-800-561-1616
Facsimile: (418) 646-5974
E-mail: info@mddep.gouv.qc.ca

Urgence-Environnement (the environmental emergency service)
Telephone: 1-866-694-5454


Saskatchewan Environment
Inquiry Centre
3211 Albert Street, 2nd Floor
Regina, SK S4S 5W6
Telephone: (306) 953-3750 or Toll-free: 1-800-567-4224
Facsimile: (306) 787-9544

E-mail: centre.inquiry@gov.sk.ca
Firewatch Toll-free Line: 1-800-667-9660
Spill Control Centre Toll-free Line: 1-800-667-7525
TIPS (Turn in Poachers) Toll-free Line: 1-800-667-7561

Yukon Territory

Environment Yukon
10 Burns Road
PO Box 2703 (V-3A)
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6
Telephone Line: (867) 667-5652 or Toll-free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5652
Facsimile: (867) 393-7197
Turn-in-Polluters Line: 1-800-661-0525
E-mail: environmentyukon@gov.yk.ca

Document last updated on September 28, 2016

Add a badge to your website or intranet so your workers can quickly find answers to their health and safety questions.


Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information, CCOHS does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current. CCOHS is not liable for any loss, claim, or demand arising directly or indirectly from any use or reliance upon the information.