MMH - Sheet Materials
On this page
How should sheet materials be handled?Back to top
Handling sheet material single-handed is always difficult and hazardous.
- Store the sheet materials at a convenient height above ground.
- Do not lift and carry sheets without training.
- Always wear appropriate safety shoes or boots to prevent materials falling on your feet.
What should be done when lifting sheet material?Back to top
- Stand close to the pile of sheets in a walking stance.
- Grasp sheet firmly at the mid-point of its long side with the closer hand.
- Pull the sheet up and towards your body.
- Change your grip using your other hand and put your fingers on top of the sheet.
- Pull sheet up to a vertical position and to the side until one half is off the pile.
- Grasp the lower edge of the sheet with the free hand and support the hand by placing it on your knee.
- Stand up without bending and twisting your body.
What should be done when carrying the load?Back to top
- Use drywall carts to carry sheet materials.
- Get help from another person where carts are not available.
- Apply carrying handles for manual carrying.
- Grasp the carrying handles firmly when carrying the load.
- Always use gloves and carrying handle for glass and other materials with sharp edges.
- Make sure the pathway is clear and has no obstructions.
- Fact sheet last revised: 2018-11-28