Use the following checklist as a general workplace guide.
Floors and Other Areas
- Are floors clean and clear of waste?
- Are signs posted to warn of wet floors?
- Are floors in good condition?
- Are there holes, worn or loose planks or carpet sticking up?
- Is anti-slip flooring used where spills, moisture or grease are likely?
- Are there protruding objects such as nails, sharp corners, open cabinet drawers, trailing electrical wires?
- Are personal items, such as clothing and lunch boxes, in assigned lockers or storage areas?
- Is the work area congested?
- Are floors well-drained?
Aisles and Stairways
- Are aisles unobstructed and clearly marked?
- Are mirrors installed at blind corners?
- Are aisles wide enough to accommodate workers and equipment comfortably?
- Are safe loading practices used with hand and power trucks, skids, or pallets?
- Is the workplace lighting adequate? Are stairs well lit?
- Are stairs covered with an anti-slip tread? Are faulty stair treads repaired?
- Are all spills wiped up quickly?
- Are procedures followed as indicated on the material safety data sheet?
- Are spill absorbents used for greasy, oily, flammable or toxic materials?
- Are used rags and absorbents disposed of promptly and safely?
- Is a spill area surrounded by a barrier to prevent a spill from spreading?
Equipment and Machinery Maintenance
- Is equipment in good working order, with all necessary guards or safety features operational or in place?
- Is equipment damaged or outdated?
- Are tools and machinery inspected regularly for wear or leaks?
- Is equipment repaired promptly?
- Are drip pans or absorbent materials used if leaks cannot be stopped at the source?
- Is a machine that splashes oil fitted with a screen or splash guard?
- Are machines and tools cleaned regularly?
- Are there adequate number of containers?
- Are there separate and approved containers for toxic and flammable waste?
- Are waste containers located where the waste is produced?
- Are waste containers emptied regularly?
- Are toxic and flammable waste chemicals handled properly?
- Are storage areas safe and accessible?
- Is material stacked securely, blocked or interlocked if possible?
- Are materials stored in areas that do not obstruct stairs, fire escapes, exits or firefighting equipment?
- Are materials stored in areas that do not interfere with workers or the flow of materials?
- Are bins or racks provided where material cannot be piled?
- Are all storage areas clearly marked?
- Do workers understand material storage and handling procedures?
- Are combustible and flammable materials present only in the quantities needed for the job at hand?
- Are combustible and flammable materials kept in safety cans during use?
- Are hazardous materials stored in approved containers and away from ignition sources?
- Are sprinkler heads clear of stored material?
- Are fire extinguishers inspected and located along commonly travelled routes, and close to possible ignition sources?
- Are oily or greasy rags placed in metal containers and disposed of regularly?