- Lower hoist to unload rope sheaves.
- Unwind all wire rope from the hoist drum to expose all parts of a rope, making sure that the rope does not rewind in the reverse direction.
- Inspect sheaves, sockets, dead-ends, thimble joints, and all wire rope hardware.
- During rope changes, check the sheaves for worn bearings, broken flanges, proper groove size, smoothness, and contour.
- Inspect all parts of the cable, cleaning wire rope only as required to complete an inspection. Excessive removal of lubrication will lead to damage.
- Re-lubricate rope to prevent corrosion, wear, friction, and drying out of the core.
- Check for ropes that may have been operated dry (unlubricated). Replace dry ropes. There may be hidden damage that is not detected by visual inspection.
- Compare the rope length and diameter with the original dimensions. Lengthening accompanied by diameter reduction is often an indication of interior core defects.
Establish a schedule of rope replacement to change wire rope before it breaks. Periodic replacements do not take the place of inspections. If rope breaks or inspections reveal abnormal wire breakage or defects, reduce the time between replacements. Do not make wire rope slings from used wire rope.
Crane Structure and accessories
- Visually examine the crane structure for deformed, cracked or corroded members in the structure and boom.
- Check for loose bolts or rivets.
- Check for excessive wear on brake and clutch system parts.
- Check for deformed wedges.
- Check for defective cotter keys, pins and guardrails.
- Ensure all mechanical components of the crane is in good working order (gear box, hydraulics, etc.).
- Check for deterioration or leakage in air or hydraulic systems.
- Check for safe and effective operation on hoses, pumps and motors.
- Check levels of fluid.
- Check air cleaners for replacement or cleaning.
Control Mechanisms and Monitoring Devices
- Check all control mechanisms such as cables, brakes and levers for poor adjustment or excessive wear.
- Check accuracy of marking on the load/radius indicator over full range.
- Check for proper operation of load moment indicator, boom angle indicator, boom length indicator and anti two-block system according to the manufacturer's manual.