Materials Handling - Choosing Slings
On this page
What types of slings are used to lift loads?Back to top
What should you know or determine before choosing a sling?Back to top
- The weight of the load.
- The centre of gravity of the load.
- The best slinging configuration that provides the proper balance for the load.
- The working load limit of the sling.
- The work rated load of the attachments and components of the sling.
- Other physical characteristics of the load (geometry, sharp edges, surface temperature, etc.).
- The environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, presence of corrosive agents).
- The characteristics of different types of slings.
What should you know when using any type of sling?Back to top
Be sure you know the correct use of the equipment, the slinging procedures and the sling strength factors to be applied before lifting. Always check the manufacturers' information before using.
All slings (new, altered, modified, or repaired) should be inspected by a competent person before they are used in the workplace to make sure they are built to specfiications, not damaged, and will be appropriate for the work being performed.
Please see the individual documents (as listed above: wire rope, fibre rope, chain, synthetic, metal mesh) for information about:
- How to care for the sling.
- How to inspect the sling.
- How to store the sling.
- When to remove a sling from use.
- Fact sheet last revised: 2019-08-09