- Do not use a sander without an exhaust system or a dust collector present that is in good working order. Empty the collector when 1/4 full. The dust created when sanding can be a fire and explosion hazard. Proper ventilation is essential.
- Do not exert excessive pressure on a moving sander. The weight of the sander supplies adequate pressure for the job.
- Do not work on unsecured stock unless it is heavy enough to stay in place. Clamp the stock into place or use a "stop block" to prevent movement.
- Do not overreach. Always keep proper footing and balance.
- Do not cover the air vents of the sander.
Refer to Powered Hand Tools - Basic Safety for Electric Tools for general safety tips.