MMH - Layouts for Storing
On this page
- Consider the flow of materials through the storage area.
- Store frequently accessed materials near one another to improve efficiency and workflow. See MMH - Materials Flow for more information.
- Make sure there is enough space between aisles and walkways for the equipment and personnel present. Store materials at a convenient height. Consider all people having to access the storage area and note that what may be a convenient height for one person may be too high or low for another.
- Leave the lowest or highest shelf unused, if necessary.
- Use vertically mobile shelves to avoid bending and overhead reaching.
- Use bin racks for storing small items.
- Store heavy and frequently used materials at waist height.
- Do not store materials at floor level.
- Use hand trucks with elevating devices in storage and loading areas.
- Use trucks with a tilting device to avoid bending.
- Use elevating platforms to avoid overhead reaching.
- Fact sheet last revised: 2023-07-31