MMH - Mechanical Aids: Levers and Rollers
On this page
A lever is a bar or rod that can be used to reduce the effort when lifting loads. To be effective, the lever must rest on a pivot (fulcrum). Using levers reduces the force required to handle materials and avoids bending and stooping.
- Use a steel bar to shift an object horizontally.
- Use the lever and rollers to move a load horizontally.
- Use rollers on an angle to change the direction of the load.
- Use "Come-Alongs" to move heavy load. Ensure load is fully on the skid to prevent drag or resistance.
- Mount lever on wheels to assist in when moving load. Ensure that wheels can be locked.
Lever on a rolling platform lifts and moves objects.
Lever on wheels lifts and moves manhole covers.
Lever on wheels lists and moves coils.
- Use an extended handle to lift, shift or move objects without bending.
- Fact sheet confirmed current: 2019-08-15
- Fact sheet last revised: 2013-12-03