Lift heavy and large sacks in two stages using an intermediate platform.
When lifting, remember to:
- Straddle the end of the sack.
- Bend the hips and knees.
- Keep the back straight.
- Don't stoop.
- Grasp the bag with both hands under the end closest to you. Keep elbows inside the thighs.
- Lean forward and straighten the knees to set the bag upright.
- Move your feet closer to the sack.
- Squat with the sack between the thighs with one foot flat on the floor in front of the other.
- Grasp the sack with your elbow inside the thighs. With one hand clasp the sack against your body and use your other hand to hold the bottom of the sack.
- Stand up in one smooth motion.
- Place the sack upright on the platform.
- Place one foot in front of the other with the front foot along side of the platform.
- Bend the hips and knees and keep the back straight.
- Put one shoulder against the sack.
- Readjust your grasp.
- Lean the sack against your shoulder.
- Stand up and straighten the hips and knees.
- Make sure your hands and feet are clear when putting the load down.