How should tall cylinders be transported?
- Use carts or hand trucks to transport cylinders.
- Make sure that two people transport a cylinder if a cart cannot be used.
- Use lifting straps to improve grip.
How should one person lift a cylinder onto a platform?
- Roll the cylinder to within 1 metre of the platform.
- Position the forward foot around the cylinder, the back foot about 30 cm behind the cylinder.
- Bend knees slightly.
- Place one hand on the valve's protective cap, the other hand underneath the cylinder about 30 cm from the ground.
- Tilt the cylinder onto the thigh of the back leg.
- Balance the cylinder on the thigh by pressing down with the back-hand while lifting the cylinder with the forward hand.
- Extend both knees to initiate and forward movement of the cylinder and continue by pushing up and forward with the arms until the cylinder is located on the platform.
- Climb on the platform.
- Straddle the cylinder at the valve end.
- Grasp the protective cap of the cylinder with both hands between the thighs.
- Lean forward and straighten the knees to set the cylinder upright.
Document last updated on August 27, 2002
Document confirmed current on August 1, 2017