|License Options:||Single Seat (90 days access)
Multi-seat (1 year access)
This course helps managers and supervisors in Ontario understand and meet their health and safety responsibilities under WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System).
You will gain an understanding of WHMIS, the system used across Canada to provide health and safety information about hazardous materials in workplaces. You will learn about your WHMIS duties and responsibilities as specified in Ontario regulations.
You will also review WHMIS hazard symbols and their meanings, supplier and workplace labels, and material safety data sheets (MSDSs). The course outlines practical advice and basic health and safety measures you can take to protect your employees and prevent workplace injuries and illnesses.
Developed by CCOHS in collaboration with WSPS, this course also features case studies, review quizzes, "Ask a Question", and access to resources from CCOHS and WSPS. Those who score at least 80% on the final exam will be able to print a certificate of completion.
- Basics of WHMIS and duties of the employer
- Duties and responsibilities of managers and supervisors
- Components of a WHMIS program
- Hazard communication
- WHMIS hazard classes and their symbols
- Material safety data sheets (MSDSs)
- Safe use and handling of hazardous materials
- Worker education and training
- Helpful resources from CCOHS, WSPS and more
- Links to federal and provincial information sources
Upon completion of the course you will:
- Know your duties and responsibilities under WHMIS regulations
- Know the WHMIS hazard classes and symbols and their meanings
- Understand the types of information provided on supplier and workplace labels
- Understand the information on MSDSs and be able to find information on hazards and preventive measures
- Know how to control hazards and protect employees working with or near hazardous materials
- Know how to find additional information on hazardous materials
Average time to complete this course is about 1 hour.
- Managers and supervisors in Ontario workplaces where chemical products are used
- Human resources and safety professionals in Ontario who have responsibilities for training and compliance
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
Registration for this course is provided online, or by contacting Client Services or calling 1-800-668-4284.
CCOHS courses are unique in that they are developed by subject specialists in the field, and reviewed by representatives from labour, employers and government to ensure the content and approach are unbiased and credible.
CCOHS and the Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS) have partnered to develop online e-courses specific to Ontario workplaces. WSPS offers other training, products and related services. For more information, visit http://www.healthandsafetyontario.ca/WSPS/cp2/eLearning.aspx.
We partnered with Vubiz - an international leader in e-learning development - to create this e-course. Vubiz offers other related e-learning courses that may also be of interest to you. Read about them in the Vubiz Catalogue of e-learning courses.