|License Options:||Single Seat (90 days access)
Multi-seat (1 year access)
This course was developed at CCOHS using the accumulated experience of our information services since WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) began in 1988. The course familiarizes workers with the system used across Canada to provide safety information about hazardous products in their workplaces. Participants will learn about the WHMIS symbols and their meaning, the labels on products, and material safety data sheets (MSDSs). The course also includes valuable practical advice, so you will know basic health and safety measures to protect yourself and prevent workplace injuries and illnesses.
- Components of WHMIS: labels, MSDSs and education / training
- Rights and responsibilities of workers in WHMIS
- The WHMIS classes and their symbols
- Supplier labels
- Workplace labels
- Material safety data sheets
- Fundamentals of chemical safety
- Helpful resources
Upon completion of this course you will be able to :
- Know your rights and responsibilities
- Recognize the WHMIS symbols and their meaning
- Understand the types of information provided on supplier labels and workplace labels
- Read an MSDS and find information on hazards and preventive measures
- Take basic measures to protect yourself when working with hazardous materials
- Find additional information on hazardous materials
Average time to complete this course is about 50-60 minutes.
- Workers in workplaces where chemical products are used
- Students in science and technology programs
- Young workers preparing for a new job
- Human resources and safety professionals with responsibilities for training and compliance
Prior technical knowledge of health and safety is not a requirement. However, familiarity with workplace processes and practices is helpful.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
CCOHS courses are unique in that they are developed by subject specialists in the field, and reviewed by representatives from labour, employers and government to ensure the content and approach are unbiased and credible.
We partnered with Vubiz - an international leader in e-learning development - to create this e-course.
Vubiz offers other related e-learning courses that may also be of interest to you. Read about them in the Vubiz Catalogue of e-learning courses.